Sunday, August 8, 2010

Aha Moment

I have just returned from a great vacation at Cape Cod with my family. I was there for 13 days! The longest ever. It was very relaxing and for the first time I did it sober! I also fiinnaallyyy finished "Lit". It took me a long time to get into it and then I just hit a groove. The Aha came while I was reading her chapters about prayer. She was describing exactly how I felt. But after I finished it - I got it. (I think) (I hope) I decided to start praying. So I try to remember to do it every morning and every night. And every time I want to say something judgemental about someone, I stop myself and say "Who am I to judge" I have been repeating the Serentity prayer over and over and over in my head when I'm mad at my husband or kids. I've been asking God to help me be a kinder person, stay sober, anything....because after reading Mary Karr's book, I figure if she can do it--I can do it!

2 comments:

  1. You are doing it right!
    - Booze free brigade friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your sober vacation! When you mentioned Cape Cod, of course my first alcoholic thought was the drink.

    So glad you made it through and really enjoyed yourself. I also think it's tremendous that your father is in recovery and has so much knowledge about it. What a benefit! I do relate with what you said about the good girl/bad girl impulses. I felt the same way, except I was always the "bad girl" growing up, the bad seed, if you will. Sometimes I feel resentful when my "good", over-achieving family members say, "We're so proud of you!" It nauseates me and I want say, "I know, I know, Lisa finally did something right. Eff off!" But I know that's more about me than them, so I'm working on it.

    Good for you for doing the right thing no matter what. Rock on, sister.

    -Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete